Effectiveness of Celebrex
Celebrex is an anti-inflammatory drug of a non-steroidal structure. It is widely used for the treatment of the pain associated with inflammatory processes of the musculoskeletal system and other acute and chronic pain.
The active substance Celebrex is Celecoxib, a specific inhibitor of the first-generation cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) enzyme. The inhibition of this enzyme leads to a delay in the synthesis of prostaglandins, inflammation mediators. In addition, prostaglandins increase the sensitivity of pain receptors to pain mediators and exert a pyrogenic effect on the centers of thermoregulation in the brain. Thus, by stopping the formation of prostaglandins, an anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antipyretic effect is achieved.
What does Celebrex help treat?
Almost all pathological changes in the body are accompanied by painful and inflammatory processes. Celebrex helps relieve pain and inflammation, therefore it is used to relieve these symptoms in many fields of medicine. The action of the drug includes the relief of inflammation, redness, swelling, pain, itching, and heat. Celecoxib has undergone many clinical studies, as a result of which the most sensitive diseases and states have been identified:
- Acute musculoskeletal diseases (eg, scapulohumeral periarthritis, subacromial bursitis, arthritis with gout);
- Chronic musculoskeletal pain (for example, ankylosing spondylosis, rheumatic pains);
- Pain of the postoperative period;
- Menstrual pain;
- Family adenomatous polyposis;
- Colon adenoma.
The classical field of application of Celebrex is the control of chronic pain and the management of acute pain in diseases of the musculoskeletal system, after injuries and during the postoperative period. The use of this NSAID helps reduce the dose taken by opioid drugs.
In addition to the standard application of the drug, in clinical conditions, it was found out the possible prospects of using Celebrex for the treatment of schizophrenic patients, since this substance also positively affects neurodegenerative processes.
How to take Celebrex?
The preparation is available in the form of white gelatin capsules of 100 mg, 200 mg, and 400 mg.
Capsules are taken after meals, washed down with a glass of warm water. The medicine should not be chewed or divided into parts.
Follow the following instructions when taking Celebrex:
- The standard recommended dosage for treatment is Celebrex 200 mg per day.
- The maximum dose is 800 mg, 4 capsules.
- With rheumatoid arthritis, take Celebrex 200-400 mg/2 times a day.
- With osteoarthritis, 100-200 mg per day.
- Depending on the severity of the pain syndrome for the relief of acute pain, you can take 200-400 mg once and then, if necessary, take another Celebrex 200 mg, but not more than twice a day.
- With family adenomatous polyposis, Celebrex 400 mg twice a day should be taken. The drug should be given in minimal therapeutic doses for a short time to prevent the development of side effects.
What should you know before taking Celebrex?
- Celebrex capsules cannot be combined with other NSAIDs. Due to the peculiarities of metabolism, complex use with warfarin can cause bleeding.
- The use of the drug with fluconazole increases the concentration of celecoxib by a factor of two. Intake with angiotensin-2 blockers reduces the antihypertensive effect of the latter.
- The intake of Celebrex with lithium preparations requires constant monitoring since the concentration of lithium increases by almost 20%. Treatment of persons of the Negroid race must be carried out beginning with minimal dosages because of the presence of a specific metabolism in such patients.
The common side effects of Celebrex include:
- Pain in the epigastric region, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, possible development of intestinal bleeding, etc.
- Headache, drowsiness, dizziness, tinnitus, confusion;
- Hypertension, arrhythmia, tachycardia, peripheral edema;
- Infections of respiratory organs;
- Infections of the genitourinary system;
- Thrombocytopenia, anemia;
- Allergic reactions.